Friday, August 6, 2010

To Be Led On

Hey,

So yesterday was my Dad's Birthday, along with Sam Okpo and Sanni Michael. I was out all day, and too lazy to type anything yesterday. I'm about to go out again, but I decided to drop something before I leave and continue when I get back.

So I've realized that I've been doing nothing but dropping lectures since I started blogging. I've decided to something different this time: share one of my experiences with you. This isn't something I would brag about; rather, it was a bad experience for me. I'll just get to it.

I met a girl who came to my school around the time I just got int a relationship (About 2 yrs ago). She was perfect to me, so hot that I wished I was still single. I instantly became her friend, since that was the safest thing I could do. To compound matters, she knew my then gf lol. As fate would have it, she decided to say yes to a jerk who was 2 years younger than her. All I could do was hope and pray that he would treat her right. He actually did a good job at the beginning, but his true nature eventually started displaying itself and the bad behavior started.

That was a bad time for my friend, as she endured a lot of insults and rudeness from her bf and I couldn't do anything about it but just comfort her. She kept taking the BS for many months until she eventually dumped him. Frankly, I was relieved and didn't hide it. Furthermore, I saw my opportunity, forgetting that you don't just get over your ex like that and the next person is just a rebound. I started giving serious attention and confided in one of my other female friends about my intentions. She begged me not to, since the bf was her friend as well. I told her to stay out of it, but she decided to run and tell the bf and make sure i was shut down. Some friend yeah?

I waited for a while, and still continued to pay attention to my friend oh. Eventually, we were talking daily, sitting together in class, just hanging out. Hell, everyone warned me that she had the habit of playing dumb and just enjoying attention. She then gets confused when the guy frees her in frustration, saying that she didn't know that he liked her. After several events like that, nobody wanted to hear her story, except me. I decided to give her the benefit of doubt, so I tried something new: I didn't allow her to have the opportunity to say she didn't know how I felt. I spilled my guts and told her to make her mind up, but not immediately, as there was another guy on her case that she seemed to like.

Even through the time I spent with her, I quietly reminded her that I didn't see her as a friend, and she shouldn't see me as her gay best friend since she was extremely comfortable around me. All my friends told her that I really liked her and she shouldn't waste my time; all she would do was smile and say she had heard them. Things got so intense that people thought we were in a relationship. Even when I went for my mum's FIFA competition in Abuja, i got her stuff and called her everyday. She was the first person I went to see as soon as I got back. I began to realize I was hooked, and being carried away.... I knew I had to get something concrete.

She was good at her game; she wouldn't really give me anything concrete, while I would be open about everything. I created a simple routine to make it easy for her to understand me. It was all a show of sincerity and commitment so she could trust me. She wanted to play games instead. She would talk about the other guy to me, knowing how I felt. Just when I get angry and ignore her, she would come and hustle my attention. Just when I think that it was pointless to continue, I would get this public display of affection that would confuse everyone, not just me. I mean, at a party in a lecturer's house, she walked straight up to me and ate out of my plate, even though she had hers. Everyone just kept quiet, and she just smiled and walked away. She would show me another side of herself that would just suck me in all over again. However, I began to realize that she was beginning to pay a price to keep me in this game; she had to open up to me. Her power over me began to drop.

I started taking control, the more she opened up to me. The turning point was when I was there for her when she was at her lowest and crying because of the other guy. She then asked me why I was so patient with her. I replied that I felt she is worth it, and that if she feels the same way I feel, she would eventually reciprocate and that's worth waiting for. She then replied, that it was a shame that I was leaving soon. I knew I was close to a capitulation, but I guessed she realized it as well because she closed up all over again. After a lot of thought, I just decided to talk to her and get an answer. She was still loading and asked if she was supposed to say something. LOL. When I said yes, she just kept quiet, then said,'I like you....As a friend'. I then asked her what took so long to just tell me instead of wasting my time and she had no answer. She told me though, that she was only interested in playing games, and I was too easy to figure out. I hadn't felt that insulted in a while lol. I then explained that she would never be able to handle the real me; that's why I pitied her and created something simple to understand because of what she went through with her ex. I then promised her something: I would NEVER come after her again, no matter what her answer would have been.

I guess my friend didn't take me seriously, because she kept waiting for me to continue as usual, like my world must revolve around her. She doesn't talk to me anymore, simply because I stopped calling, or visiting. I guess it never occurred to her that she should call. Such is life oh. Till now, I'm not sure if she really liked me at all, or she just saw me as a fool to offer free attention; I'll probably never know, but it's all in the past. I wish her well though, lol. No beef.

So the moral of my little story is: DON'T LEAD PEOPLE ON. You never really know what you've got till it's gone. I hope you enjoyed it.x

No comments:

Post a Comment